Friday 8 March 2019

Ahhh...the joys (and frustrations) of lifelong learning...

Learn I Ako

The focus of today's session was on the Learn (Ako) element of Manaiakalani's Learn, Create, Share model.  As I find myself happily in the learning pit again, I can empathise with learners of all ages seeking to gain new understanding about what can at times seem to be an overwhelming plethora of digital tools.  

It is energising to learn new content and to then put this to practice through the 'create' process and then to share this new knowledge.  There was more rich learning for me about the Manaiakalani kaupapa and key takeouts were:

  • Digital learning is not about throwing the baby out with the bath water.  It recognises that nothing replaces great teaching but that with quality pedagogy and appropriate digital tools that accelerated learning and increased engagement can be realised.
  • Effective practice with digital affordances creates an acceleration in learning.  




So many time-saving tips!

Building on from last week's deep dive into Google Drive and Google Docs, today's focus on Gmail and Google Calendar provided several practical ways to work smarter.  Setting up GMail so that functions like automatically adding events to Calendar help with time management and visibility.  Setting up appointment slots and gaining confidence with Google Hangouts, so too do shared calendars.  Today's Google Hangouts session was challenging, particularly with a few technical glitches with microphone and camera settings which took time to resolve.  But we got there (better late than never!).

Google Keep is another digital tool.  Having had an introductory 'play' with it some weeks back, it was good to learn how to pin notes and archive old items.  I hadn't used the Loom extension before and found it useful to learn how to record and then trim the video.


Extensions to help manage files and time more effectively are always welcome and today I added Toby Mini to my suite of tools.  Having previously used OneTab already, I  like how you can set up collections and customise it to curate tabs and related sites.

We covered a lot of information and I have a greater appreciation as to why this course has the word 'intensive' in its title.  This opportunity to learn new skills and improve my practice is energising.  I will be applying my deeper understanding of Gmail, Calendar and Hangouts with gusto!

6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jo, you are so right that nothing can replace quality teaching and the relationships those teachers create with their students. Thank you for patience as we tried to fix the glitches. I like the way you quietly included the clip discussing the learning that happens though blog posts and commenting. Tanya Mundy @ https://tchingprofessional.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback Tanya and for the informative session yesterday. There are so many learnings and I am looking forward to incorporating several of the extensions and apps you & Maria shared with us. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afternoon Jo,

    Very cool reflection on learning achieved this week and learning in general. Very relevant ideas for the change we are trying to create. It was very fun working alongside you - good to be able to have an honest laugh, conversation and reflection as you work through the day. I enjoyed being able to curate our new learning and tools/apps collaboratively. Time well spent.

    Like yourself, I found myself in the learning pit with Google Calendar appointment slots...which will be a continued focus moving forward.

    Looking forward to catching up next week! Will hopefully bring back great stories, knowledge and ideas from Auckland :)

    Kind regards,
    Herman

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous day working alongside you Jo, scary being in the pit at times yet a great way to be reminded of how our learners may feel in the classroom at times.
    I love the google calendar tips and looking around in gmail ... Google Keep is my new best friend and I can see endless ways for it to help me.
    see you Friday for more deep dives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Jo,
    Glad to hear you are 'happily' in the learning pit. Might be happy but not always comfortable I know. I like your thinking about time-saving tips. I find it does take some time to set the tools and once that is done they are great time-savers.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your key takeouts are so true Jo. Too often people get a little anxious about technological affordances and the 'change' it might bring, but really its about enhancing the quality of what we're already doing so well!
    I also really appreciate how even though we talk mainly in a teacher context during our DFI days you're able to apply our learnings to your own context.

    ReplyDelete